Scottish Continuity - Resilient Scotland Conference 2019
Tuesday, 19th February 2019
Registration, Exhibition Viewing & Networking from 8.30am | Event Closes 5pm
Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AS
Thank you to all the sponsors, speakers, exhibitors and delegates for attending yesterday.
Please feedback your comments on the event at bit.ly/SCResScot19Full
Speaker Presentations will be uploaded below, as soon as we receive permission from speakers to do so.
ABOUT THE EVENT
The Scottish Continuity Resilient Scotland Conference is widely regarded as Scotland’s leading conference that brings Business Continuity and Resilience practitioners together providing an opportunity to gain valuable education, training and best practice to assist, organise, prepare, respond and recover from emergencies, crisis and business disruptions.
We continue our theme of ‘Our resilience is your resilience’ which will run to 2020. We promise a topical and interesting programme, providing excellent value for money. The programme is currently under development and information will be updated below on a regular basis.
Once again, there will be exhibition stands to visit during registration, coffee and lunch breaks and an opportunity to talk to suppliers. Sponsorship and marketing opportunities exist for suppliers, educators and government advisory bodies to promote their products, services, opportunities and key messages to the attendees. We are also particularly keen to welcome SME’s and can offer generous sponsorship discounts if you have been trading for less than 24 months.
Resilient Scotland Conference 2019 will afford you the opportunity of hearing about current and relevant industry practices; exposure to new technology and networking with like-minded peers, whilst showing an excellent ROI to your organisations. Come along and meet the Scottish Continuity team in the Resilience Zone to hear what’s happening in the future - network with your peers, make new friends and share experiences.
Scottish Continuity is delighted to confirm the following sponsors and supporters
FOR FULL PROGRAMME, SPEAKERS AND TIMINGS - CLICK HERE
Who should attend?
- Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery / Incident Management professionals
- Scottish & UK Government resilience response and resilience advisory body representatives
- Risk Management professionals
- IT Resilience professionals
- Local Emergency/Crisis Support Organisations
- Facilities & Infrastructure professionals
- Local Business Directors / Managers
- Suppliers to the industry
Anybody with an interest in business continuity / resilience planning / disaster recover / incident management
ATTENDING THE CONFERENCE
Delegate fees to include refreshments, buffet lunch and conference materials.
- Scottish Continuity Members - free of charge
- Non-Scottish Continuity Members - £100 (VAT exempt)
Cancellation Terms Apply - Please note:
SC members booking and not attending will be charged the non-member fee of £100 (VAT exempt) to cover the cost of venue hire, catering etc. An invoice will be sent to you after the event.
Cancellations will result in an administration charge of £30 (VAT exempt). No refunds will be made after Friday 18th January 2019. Bookings can be transferred to a colleague - please advise in writing by email.
- CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO ATTEND THE CONFERENCE = THE EVENT IS NOW FULL AND SUBJECT TO WAITING LIST, FOR DETALS CONTACT JOYCE.BORTHWICK@CRESCENTEVENTS.CO.UK
- Click here to join Scottish Continuity
SPONSORSHIP, EXHIBITION & ADVERTISING OPPORTUNITIES
Our sponsorship packages are flexible and designed to help you meet and influence the people who are going to ensure the growth of your business or their uptake in governmental policy and programmes/advisory/best practices in the future.
- Sponsorship opportunities (various prices)
- Eexhibition stands £350
- Advertising £100
Special Offer for New Start Businesses: A generous discount is available on all exhibition opportunity noted above for all new start businesses operating for less than 24 months. Please discuss further with the event organiser.
For full details about sponsoring, exhibiting or advertising click here
Please contact - Joyce Borthwick at Crescent Events - telephone: 0131 554 8998 / email@example.com
|CONFIRMED PROGRAMME - CLICK HERE......session synopsis are below
Russell Pearson, Director, Alert Cascade Limited (Headline Sponsor)
- "Resilient Communications Made Easy" - Interactive discussion around how to increase your resiliency using simple communication tools and techniques. We will be discussing common roadblocks to implementing resilient communications, how to overcome internal and external roadblocks (including budget restraints and business cases), potential technology solutions (mass notification) and gathering feedback on how communications have impacted your own resilience (both negatively and positively).
Richard Cooper, Director of Global Accounts, Fusion Risk Management
- Click here for Rich's Presentation
"Building a Case for an Organisational Knowledge and Operational Resilience" - Every day, new risks and threats arise that can disrupt business operations. From cyber threats and supply chain outages to increasingly unpredictable weather, today's business continuity and risk management programs need to more resilient than ever. This session outlines six key ways for you to leverage Organisational Knowledge and improve Operational Resilience.
Dr Sandra Bell, Head of Resilience Consulting (Europe), Sungard Availability Services
- Click here for Sandra's presentation
- "Live Disaster Recovery Scenario - What Would You Do?" - When in the middle of a crisis it is not just the Business Continuity team that are involved, but the whole business. Decisions made by the senior management team and other departments such as IT, HR and Operations can have an impact across the business. During this interactive session, the audience will decide the fate of a business struck by disaster. You will be lead through a scenario, with your votes determining the path the business takes to avert disaster. With guidance from Dr Sandra Bell and her Resilience Team, we’ll look at the options and the consequences, to help you decide which path to take.
John Duncan, Senior Advisor Emergency Response & Security, Total Exploration and Production UK
- Click here for John's presentation
- "Is Your Business Continuity Plan Fit for a Cyber Attack? - As a result of a cyber attack on the group Maersk Oil lost all IT systems and computers for 7 days. They had a well established plan and trained staff to deal with the event. The presentation covers how we dealt with the impact of not having access to our computers or IT systems. It emphasised how important it was to have a plan and staff trained in that plan to ensure a successful outcome.
- "Threats or The Future? Tokenization, The Dark Web and Encryption" - We are facing some of the greatest changes to our society that we have ever faced, and our existing world is likely to be completely transformed over the next decade or so. With tokenization we see the rise of crypto assets and where a tokenized world will replace many of our existing commercial models. So, are we ready for this change, and will our existing audit/compliance and taxation systems cope with new methods of business? And will we replace our world which is full of opportunities for cybercriminals with one which is full of hidden transactions and new scams, or can we regulate effectively? The other major change in our world will be the increasing usage of encryption, and for us to focus this on the rights of privacy and consent. So, can we build systems which are secure, and which are focused on citizens, and still deal with the rights of businesses and nation states to protect themselves?
James Lindsay, Crisis Manager and Resilience Expert
- "Being the Crisis Manager at Cambridge Analytica" - Imagine joining a quiet, friendly organisation staffed largely by millennials and academics as the Interim Head of Change … then being faced with a crisis on a global scale which rocked the company to its core. This is what I experienced at Cambridge Analytica in 2018. In March 2018, multiple media outlets broke a global news story regarding business practices at Cambridge Analytica which involved Facebook data and its uses. The organisation was thrust, almost overnight, into a crisis which ultimately resulted in Cambridge Analytica going into administration in May 2018. During my career as an interim manager I have worked with numerous clients on BCM and latterly resilience and will join you to explain the mechanics of Cambridge Analytica’s crisis management, as experienced from the heart of the storm. I will share stories of the impact on staff and some of the practical challenges that resulted from such immediate alteration from ‘business as usual’. This is not a discussion of the rights or wrongs of business decisions taken long before I joined the organisation, but a fascinating real-life dissection of the effects on ordinary staff members, key processes put in place to cope and the importance of clear communications strategies.
Karen Azzopardi, Head of Resilience Governance & Engineering, Barclays
- "Journey to Resilience" - Barclays journey from BCM to resilience, why BCM is no longer an appropriate approach, the transformation journey and why this is better for our customers.
Richard Whitby, Managing Director, Crisis Solutions
- Click here for Richard's Presentation
- "Learning From a Crisis Before It Happens" - Using experience from over 150 exercises a year delivered by the team, Richard will highlight the six main challenges uncovered by training and exercising events and examine some of the tools and techniques global organisations use to deal with those challenges.
Chris Tunnah, Chairman, Scottish Continuity
- "Where Next for Scottish Continuity"
Sandra Riddell, Board Member, Scottish Continuity & Event Facilitator
- "Round Up & Close of Conference"
Return of the “Resilience Zone”........ Pop in for a chat with the Scottish Continuity Board Members and other professionals and network with other delegates on topics such as
- Business Continuity and Recovery
- Incident and Crisis Management
- Disaster Recovery
- Emergency Messaging
- The SC membership packages and upcoming events
- …..And please pick up a complimentary Tunnock’s Teacake
Resilience Zone Sponsored by
CHRIS TUNNAH, CHAIR, SCOTTISH CONTINUITY
Chris has worked with various multinational organisations which has seen him implementing resilient systems for over 30 years. He has worked with many organisations to anticipate and alleviate risk, and plan effectively for recovery. A board member for many years, he is currently the Chair of Scottish Continuity and is happy to support the various subgroups in the various activities to meet the Group's mission of Building and Sustaining Resilient communities.
SANDRA RIDDELL, BOARD MEMBER, SCOTTISH CONTINUITY
Sandra is DXC Technology’s Corporate Business Resilience Global Manager and a board member on the Scottish Continuity Group. She began her IT career 24 years ago as a Software Engineer at GEC Marconi after graduating from Edinburgh’s Napier University. Moving from GEC Marconi to BAE Systems to CSC to DXC Technology, Sandra has worked in software development, infrastructure project management, disaster recovery and now in business resilience. Looking back, she never realised she was so resilient, nor that she would get to play a key role in establishing DXC’s corporate business resilience policy and program in April 2017 and go on to maintain and develop that corporate program. 2 years on, DXC has 134,000 staff across 70 countries with 6000 clients and an ever expanding brief given our digital transformation journey.
In her role as facilitator, she will bring her personality, energy, warmth and knowledge to connect Scottish Continuity Group members with the speakers and their stories and messages.
Russell pearson, director, alert cascade limited
Russell is a technical sales professional, with an emergency services background. Having experienced major incidents from the "ground level", he is passionate about the delivery of high availability, resilient, communication solutions that allow users to communicate, collaborate and co-ordinate during an emergency or business disruption.
Russell’s 17+ years experience in the business continuity communications sector gives him a unique insight into the needs of customers and the potential solutions available. With a focus on “real world” solutions, Russell’s background helps to drive the company’s focus on delivering cost effective scaleable solutions that are easy to implement in any sized organisation.
| RICHARD COOPER, DIRECTOR OF GLOBAL ACCOUNTS, FUSION RISK MANAGEMENT
Richard is recognised as a global industry thought leader and practitioner in the deployment, execution and rollout of business continuity management software, technology risk management solutions, and the associated services. He has more than sixteen years’ experience in the business continuity and risk management marketplace and holds a MBCI certification from the Business Continuity Institute.
DR SANDRA BELL, HEAD OF RESILIENCE (EUROPE), SUNGARD AVAILABILITY SERVICES
A risk and resilience professional with over 30 years’ experience of the design and management of strategic, business friendly resilience, security, continuity and risk solutions in public and private sectors. Experience ranges from: the management of security and the protection of data within the UK’s main business process outsourcer to the financial and government sectors; to the protection of the largest part of the UK’s critical national infrastructure. Additionally, designed and managed the security for Team USA’s High Performance Training Centres during the London 2012 Olympics. Sandra has many peer reviewed publications and 2 patents. Her views are also sought by the international media and Sandra regularly gives TV, radio, magazine and newspaper interviews. Sandra is an accomplished speaker and is often invited to give keynote and after dinner speeches on subjects ranging from the Global Security Threat to Technology Innovation.
WILL OWEN, RESILIENCE CONSULTANT, SUNGARD AVAILABILITY SERVICES
Will works with organisations to enhance their resilience to weather and climate risk. He has held operational and strategic posts at two National Weather Services and is a Chartered Director.
JOHN DUNCAN, Senior Advisor Emergency Response & Security, Total Exploration and Production UK
An Emergency Response and Security Professional with 30 years in Grampian Police filling a wide variety of operational roles, including Incident Commander, Firearms Officer and Crisis Negotiator reaching the rank of Superintendent. He has been involved in the management of incidents such as Helicopter disasters and kidnapping of oil workers abroad.
On leaving the Police John joined the Oil Industry leading onshore teams to both on and offshore incidents and responsible for the implementation of Business Continuity Plans. He joined Maersk Oil and latterly Total on its successful buy out of Maersk Oil. He has seen the impact of events on businesses and peoples’ day to day lives and how something simple can affect a company’s response or lack of it to incidents.
He is an Associate Member of BCI, holds a Master's Degree In Management and was awarded an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours in 2004.
Bill Buchanan is a Professor in the School of Computing at Edinburgh Napier University, and a Fellow of the BCS, and the IET, and a Principle Fellow of the HEA. He was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2017 Birthday Honours for services to cyber security. Bill recently received an "Outstanding Contribution to Knowledge Exchange" award at the Scottish Knowledge Exchange awards, and was the Cyber Evangelist of the Year in 2016. Currently he leads the Centre for Distributed Computing, Networks, and Security and The Cyber Academy (thecyberacademy.org). His research has led to three successful spin-out companies, including Zonefox, and he has developed a number of patents. Bill has published over 290 academic papers and 29 academic books.
| JAMES LINDSAY, CRISIS MANAGER AND RESILIENCE EXPERT
James is a crisis manager, resilience expert and programme manager who stepped in as the Head of Crisis Management for Cambridge Analytica during the Facebook scandal. He is a former Regular and then Reserve British Army officer who attended Staff College at the UK Defence Academy. He then trained as a management consultant at PWC before becoming an independent consultant. At PwC James specialised in Programme Management and was the EMEA lead for Business Continuity Planning. James was one of the team of three PwC staff who successfully brought Equitable Life through the Guaranteed Annuity (GAR) disaster. As an independent consultant James has worked for numerous large blue chip organisations both on major regulatory and resilience projects and programmes.
KAREN AZZOPARDI, Head of resilience Governance and Engineering, BARCLAYS
Karen is responsible for the delivery of the Group Resilience Policy and Standards, along with corresponding process, automation and tooling options. Prior to Barclays, she has held roles as a consultant at Daisy Group and Business Continuity Manager at HSBC.
RICHARD WHITBY, managing director, crisis solutions
During a long career in financial services Richard achieved success investigating corporate fraud and insider dealing. After a spell managing a team responsible for business continuity in a major bank he moved into resilience planning in 1999 as head of the consultancy division at an international disaster recovery company and joined Crisis Solutions in 2003. Richard has more than eighteen years’ experience of delivering and managing risk and resilience solutions to a variety of global brands. He has been directly involved in the simulation of countless cyber attack and terrorism simulations, as well as a Euro crisis for a global financial services provider; practical resilience planning in the oil fields of Kazakhstan and supply chain resilience in major supermarkets. He also assisted with the resilience preparations for the London 2012 Olympics.
Confirmed exhibitors include:
ALERT CASCADE LIMITED provides resilient UK based mass communication services, enabling you to easily share vital information in seconds. Whether you're an organisation telling staff about business disruptions, a company with warning and informing duties under COMAH/REPPIR regulations, or a charity keeping in touch with supporters, our cost-effective solutions can help.
Organisation Name: AlertCascade Limited
Contact: Emma Lane, Operations Manager
Tel: 01733 785999
Address: Rutland House, Lynch Wood, Peterborough PE2 6PZ
CLEARVIEW CONTINUITY is a global leader in BCM software with a web-based platform that empowers organisations to manage their business continuity activity as efficiently and cost effectively as possible. With clients across both private and public sectors, ClearView has built an enviable reputation for excellence and innovation; and the software provides both ease of use and powerful functionality. Building on the vision of ‘making the complicated simple’ for clients, ClearView provides a highly experienced implementation team to help new clients get up and running quickly; as well as making moving from competitor software to ClearView easy.
Organisation Name: ClearView Continuity
Contact: Jon Mitchell, Head of Business Development
Tel: 01869 354230
Address: Astral House, Granville Way, Bicester, Oxfgorshire OX26 4JT
CMAG GROUP - CMAC Business Continuity Transport (BCT) is a leading UK dedicated provider of emergency and pre-planned managed transport services. BCT offers clients:
- UK network of over 4000 approved and compliant ground transport operators
- Constant monitoring of vehicle availability via unique system software technology
- Emergency Hotel accommodation and marshalling
- UK based 24/7/365 UK control centre handling
Contact: Josh Bibby, Account Manager
Tel: 01254 355126
Address: Suite 1, Globe Centre, St James Sq, Accrington, Lancashire BB4 0RE
CRISIS SOLUTIONS LIMITED is Europe’s leading team of crisis specialists, designing crisis management and incident management plans, training events, project, and conducting crisis rehearsals. Our clients are leading organisations in their filed. We also provide cloud services to allow clients to deliver their own engaging exercises around the world.
Organisation Name: Crisis Solutions Limited
Contact: Richard Whitby, Managing Director
Tel: 07780 607977
Address: Ashwell House, High Street, Longborough, Gloucestershire GL56 0QE
F-24 UK LIMITED - European leaders for alerting and crisis management, through our web based software tool – FACT24. FACT24 has been designed to help users prevent, manage and subsequently analyse critical situations through effective communications. Designed to be reliable, secure and easy to use, FACT24 can be implemented quickly anywhere in the world.
Organisation Name: F-24 UK Limited
Contact: Matthew Davies, Business Development Manager
Tel: 07787 912797
Address: Cardinal Point, Park Road, Rickmansworth, Herts WD3 1RE
FUSION RISK MANAGEMENT is a leading industry provider of cloud-based software solutions for business continuity, integrated risk management, IT disaster recovery, and crisis and incident management. Its products and services take organisations beyond legacy solutions and empower them to make data-driven decisions with a comprehensive and flexible approach through one system. Fusion and its team of experts are dedicated to helping companies achieve greater organisational resilience and mitigate risks within their businesses.
Organisation Name: Fusion Risk Management
Contact: Richard Cooper, Managing Director, EMEA Operations
Tel: 020 3884 3538
Address: The News Building, 3 London Bridge Street, 3rd Floor, London SE1 9SG
GLASGOW CALEDONIAN UNIVERSITY (GCU) delivers the MSc/MSc DL Risk Management degree explores risk management within the context of wider organisational resilience. GCU has over 30 years risk management teaching experience, research and longstanding links with industry.
Organisation Name: Glasgow Caledonian Unversity
Contact: Claire MacRae, Lecturer in Risk
Tel: 0141 331 8497
Address: Glasgow Caledonian University, Cowcaddens Road, Glasgow G4 0BA
ONE TRUST TECHNOLOGY is the largest and most widely used dedicated privacy management technology platform for compliance with global privacy laws. More than 2,000 customers, including 200 of the Global 2,000, use OneTrust to comply with global data privacy regulations, including the GDPR, CCPA, ePrivacy and more. To learn more, visit OneTrust.com.
Organisation Name: One Trust Technology
Contact: Jeanette Modi, Account Executive
Tel: 0800 011 9778
Address: Cannon Green, 27 Bush Lane, London EC4R 0AA
ONE VOICE provides mission-critical incident and crisis management software to over 700 client in both the public and private sectors, including household names such as Total, Siemens, Repsol and the Norwegian Government. Since its beginning in 2006, our flagship product CIM has evolved into an end to end solution for structuring and managing responses of every size. They system is comprised of a number of modules which each have their own part to play in risk analysis, planning and preparation, crisis management and post-event follow up.
Organisation Name: One Voice
Contact: Jamie Milligan, Business Development Manager
Tel: 07387 140824
Address: 10 Lower Thames Street, London EC3R 6EN
||PLANB CONSULTING is an award-winning, international resilience consultancy based in Glasgow, with additional offices in London and Abu Dhabi. We provide business continuity and crisis management auditing, consultancy, training and exercising, helping to ensure that organisations around the world have access to a robust, reliable PlanB.
Organisation Name: PlanB Consulting
Contact: Roger Broomfield, Sales & Marketing Manager
Tel: 01505 228898
Address: Business First, Burnbrae Road, Linwood Industrial Estate, Linwood, Paisley PA3 3FP
|SCOTTISH CONTINUITY was formed in 1995 to enable the free-flow of information on best practice in Business Continuity Management in Scotland. The organisation is dedicated to
acting as an independent forum for benchmarking current Business Continuity practice
encouraging and supporting the application of Business Continuity 'best practice' through networking events, conferences and training events
encouraging the development and provision of Business Continuity related education, training and development activities within the Scottish training provider community
encouraging and supporting conferences, meetings, seminars and social events arranged for the benefit of the membership on a non-profit basis
Organisation Name: Scottish Continuity
Contact: Joyce Borthwick, Scottish Continuity Secretary
Tel: 0131 554 8998
||SUNGARD AVAILABILITY SERVICES - at Sungard AS, we help businesses transform their IT environments, ensuring they are resilient and recoverable. We leverage our 40 years of experience across a broad range of IT landscapes to align the right workloads with the right infrastructures – whether hybrid cloud, legacy or something in between.
Organisation Name: Sungard Availability Services
Contact: Simon Shepherdson, Business Development Inbound
Tel: 0800 143 413
Address: Unit B, Heathrow Corporate Park, Green Lane, Hounslow, Middlesex TW4 6ER
UK BUSINESS CONTINUITY delivers Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity solutions to SME businesses in Edinburgh. We also assist with Cyber Security advice and guidance. All this is done in cost effective manner and in plain English.
Contact: George Berrich, CEO & Founder
Mobile: 07760 558255
Edinburgh Office: 0131 230 0979
London Office: 0203 327 0240
Address: 15 Logie Mill, Edinburgh EH7 4HG
CONTINUITY 2 - C2 is an established Business Continuity software provider with a continuing commitment to its customers. Our mission is to provide intuitive and innovative solutions for the global business resilience market and reshape the industry as we know it today. We are a think tank for industry innovation with a creative team of designers, developers, and technical support staff working together to push the boundaries of business resilience software provision.
- Established over 35 years ago, Savant are proud to be an employee-owned company who strive to comply with our business and ethical responsibilities. With a wealth of experience in implementing technologies for a wide range of infrastructures from national data centres to smart phones, we will work with clients to deliver solutions that align with their company’s strategic and business plans. Whether implementing package or developing bespoke solutions, we will support our clients at all stages of the process from the initial requirements and development through to testing, training and ongoing UK based support.
Tel: 01524 784400
Your business continuity, change management and well-being strategies will be far more effective if your staff have the right skills and attitudes. Our expertise indriving personal resilience through the use of psycho-social models of positive behaviour change will increase your organisatio's ability to thrive in uncertain times, to innovate and adapt to change. We have a range of packages suite to your available budget and time.
Email: Carole Kelly - firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 07939 919502
Our Dynamic Earth, Holyrood Road, Edinburgh EH8 8AS
Please see link about how to travel to Our Dynamic Earth including parking information
Dynamic Earth has its own public 24 hour car park located underneath the building, for which charges do apply. Maximum vehicle height is 2.3m.
The nearest NCP car park to Dynamic Earth is https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/car-parks/edinburgh-st-johns-hill// - please note vehicle height restriction is 2.15m
Delegate Comments from 2018……
“a great balance of speakers and topics, very useful, practical advice & direction”
“very interesting & enlightening information received. Looking forward to picking up on some of the learning and sharing with colleagues”
“the Resilience Zone was a very good idea, great for networking among conference attendees”
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT
Joyce Borthwick, Crescent Events Ltd
Tel: 0131 554 8998 | Email: email@example.com